Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Dealing with the Nature of Existence on the City Bus

These passengers are actors
playing their roles quite well
I fumble through my pockets
looking for a map
or some help
driver, what stop?
city? world?
I try making a face
that has not yet been assigned
a human emotion
not being able to think of one,
I yell things incomprehensible
to grab someones attention
appealing to their
alligator brain
(the most primitive section,
connected closely
to the olfactory sense)
more passengers get on
but no one pays attention
a woman eating cheese
seems to be staring at me
but she's looking at a gym
across the street
this is a thing to be handled
with the utmost care,
I think
because the bus is missing
all its stops
and time keeps on
slippin'
slippin'
slippin'
into the future
and there don't seem to be
any answers here

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Ah...the reptilian brain! Wouldn't it be something if there were a drug that could allow us all to experience a return to the reptilian brain. Maybe there is. I enjoy your reference to Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle"...time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future. Jen and I were discussing cover versions of songs. Have you ever heard the Neville Brothers cover of "Fly Like an Eagle"? Excellent! Am I free associating? I think so. If you check out my blog you can see some of my latest submissions to the NWI Times. Hmmmm....I might even have a poem coming on. Perhaps you've inspired me. :-)

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one too.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home